Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Best of British weekend

It's nearly the weekend (well close enough!) so I thought I'd  share a few ideas for celebrating the Jubilee weekend in the UK and Queens Birthday weekend here in NZ- I'm thinking bacon and eggs, pots of tea, some London or Jubilee themed colouring in and maybe even a British themed dinner and movie one night if we get organised enough!!
  • Books

Kings and Queens Sticker Book
Kings and Queen Sticker Book
This is London
This is London-By Miroslav Sasek
Madeline in London
Madeline in London-Ludwig-Bemelmans
The London Colouring Book
London Colouring By Julian-Mosedale

and this website has heaps of free Jubilee printables and activities for the kids...



London
London By Edward Rutherfurd- I read this book a few years ago now - it was a brilliant read about the history of London
Wallpaper* City Guide London 2012
Wallpaper City Guide London 2012- if you are lucky enough to be going there anytime soon!
  • A Best of British Party/celebration
Vintage Jubilee Union Jack Bunting Garland
Vintage Jubilee Bunting- string this gorgeous bunting up or make your own british inspired bunting using red, white and blue fabrics or scrapbooking card

Jamie's Great Britain
Jamie's Great-Britain-Jamie-Oliver- cook a British themed meal from this cook book or think of a classic British meal to make...an egg and bacon fry up for breakfast, sausages and mash, roast beef and yorkshire puddings...
'Very British Street Party' Jubilee Cake Wraps & Toppers
Make some cupcakes and decorate with little Union Jack flags or these cute wraps and toppers from Lark-there are lots more Jubilee themed items on their website here

Union Jack Street Party Tea Cosy with Handing Knitted Bunting option, Egg Crown, Egg Brimmed Hat Cosys and Bunting Napkin Rings pdf KNITING PATTERN See Description for free pattern offer
Get out your tea pot, cups and saucers and have a pot of tea- how cute is this Union Jack Street Party tea cosy!
  • Listen to some music from famous British bands/musicians- The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, David Bowie, Queen, Massive Attack...lots more ideas here

  • Watch a British movie- The Holiday, Miss Potter, Love Actually, The King's Speech, The Queen- or for the family/kids-  Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,  Harry Potter, The Witches...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436697/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058331/
  • And some more British finds...

London in a Box wooden play blocks from Muji (one of my favourite shops when we lived in London)
London Guard Print


ThroneBanner3

London - embroidery pdf pattern

Have a great weekend!
Megan x

9 comments:

littleminx said...

Great post - and I just LOVE that Tea Cosy! Wish I could knit :-) Happy Queens Birthday to you x

Ali said...

Some great links there thanks for sharing xx (How cute is that tea cosy??)

Hana said...

Love your round-up Megan!! I just treated myself to Jamie's Great Britain - will have to make something appropriate for the weekend!! H xo

meg said...

OH how lovely. Might just have to give something a go this weekend.

Katie said...

Hi Megan - I could have sworn I commented on this post yesterday but blogger must have eaten the comment :-)
Love your round-up of all things British - especially the London colouring book and mini Muji wooden set.
My mum has sent me some Union Jack bunting and I have some Cath Kidston paperchains so will be decorating the house today ready for the jubilee :-)
Hope you have a lovely long weekend!

Sarah of 'Catching the Magic' said...

Great round up! Thank you! I was thinking I should really 'do' something (especially as hubbie and I are British!). You've inspired me to put a little thought into a little action...!

Rebecca said...

OMG fabulous post hon! You have given me some great inspiration and ideas for what to do this weekend. My family are looking forward to celebrating...so I am off to dust off my tea seat, he he! Have a great weekend. Becks x

Max said...

I miss muji too! red, white and blue are my fave colour combo so were a bit jubilee all year round here, but my fave is my emma bridgewater bunting mug x

Jennifer Carroll said...

Hi Megan, Just found your delightful blog via Hana's 'A Happy Adventure' blog. I love your site and I especially love all of these fab London finds! Although I'm American (I live in Virginia) I'm truly a Brit at heart as can be attested by my recent Union Jack at Home decor post on my blog :-) I just ordered the London Embroidery Pattern on etsy - don't know when I'll have time to start on it but I want it in my stash when the stitching muse strikes! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails