Monday, February 4, 2013

A gift for a teacher

About two years ago I came across this cute gift idea for teachers and filed it away as a cool idea to remember (this was pre pinterest so I must have bookmarked it!). I have a bit of a thing for those plastic compartment organisers (sad but true) and I love stationery and I do so love putting little items into those little compartments so this gift was a lot of fun to make ;) There are a lot of ideas on pinterest now for 'teacher appreciation' gifts and with my 5 year old starting her second year of school today I thought I'd make a little kit up for her new teacher. Now I was in two minds about sharing this on my blog as I really don't want mums to feel that they should be giving a gift to the teacher on the first day but it's a bit different for me as I was a full time teacher before having children (now I do relieving which is great) so I remember how full on that first day of term is, meeting up to 30 new people as well as most of their parents so I thought a little 'emergency kit' would be a fun little thing to give (and putting the kit together was a lot of fun!) This would also make a neat gift for someone training to be a teacher and off on their first teaching placement, or a gift for a friend who is a teacher too.

Here's what I put in the kit...
-tic tacs
-hand sanitiser
-lip balm
-panadol
-magnets
-staple gun staples and bull dog clips
-mini Whittakers hokey pokey chocolate bars (these are soooo delicious!)
-barley sugars for energy
-mini post its and paper clips
-lemon and ginger tea bags for a sort throat after a day's teaching
I also thought I'd share this idea as it could be used for so many other themed gift ideas -these are a few I've thought of or come across....
-fill one with hair accessories and other girly things- girls love having containers to put all of their little treasures in!
-give on as a kids craft kit- I made this one up to keep our collage things in
-fill one with lego pieces or little cars for a fun travel gift
-make up a crafty kit for a friend- fill with buttons, ribbon, threads, needles and other handy notions
And here are a few teacher quotes I found via pinterest too...all the teachers I know are amazingly passionate, hard working and dedicated people so I wish them (and the lucky children in their classes) a great first day today :)
Teacher Appreciation Quote to Print and Frame {Free Printable}
Teacher Quote
inspiring quotes for teachers
Teacher quote that says it all


Megan x

10 comments:

Stella said...

Ooooh I love these!!!!! I think I might use this idea for a friend who is about to get married, and make them a newlywed kit... Where do you get the containers? The Warehouse?

Jess B said...

Oh, this is so sweet! What at treasure for your teacher to receive on her first overwhelming day! Very thoughtful. :)

nz green buttons said...

Super cool idea! My daughter has a teacher this year that is new to the school and I had been thinking how stressful that must be too! I might make her a little something too. Thanks for the inspiration!

gretbert said...

So cute, teachers really are miracle workers aren't they!

Miriam said...

I love this Megan - it's totally awesome! You have the best ideas and you always have such a gorgeous way of putting them together :o)

PaisleyJade said...

Best idea ever!!

Leonie said...

Love it Megan, awesome idea and you make things look amazing! :)

Suz said...

REally cute. I am a teacher too (not at the moment though)and I would certainly be touched to receive a gift like that! I also love organising and sorting things into containers like that!

A Christy Production said...

Lovely idea! Pre-Pinterest I used to print out all the ideas and tutorials I found and likes & put them in binders... oh the trees that Pinterest have saved!!!

Beautiful Day said...

Love this idea! I'm going to use it for my uni prac students when they get their first postings next year!xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails